Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day isn't easy for the single people out there but to be completely honest I never liked the holiday when in a relationship either. It makes me so angry when I see the extortionist prices in flower shops. Red roses seem to triple in price around this holiday. Thankfully, with the recession, big brand stores are doing some really good deals!

I agree it is nice to have a day where you spoil your partner and be spoiled in return. However, in a good relationship, these kind of days should come more often than once a year. At least then you can avoid the crazy prices.

This year I am single again but I'm not too bothered. Yes, there are times when I would like to have someone around but this is not one of those times (too expensive!). At the moment I am quite content to be a mother first and a writer second. I am not looking for a relationship and honestly do not think I need one right now. That may sound weird to settled couples out there but looking for a man to share my life is not a priority.

Although, after saying that, I am not closing myself off to the possibility of finding love. I believe whatever is meant for us will not pass us by. If I am to go out today and run into some tall, dark and handsome man I will not be saying "Thanks, but no thanks" should he ask me out for coffee. I believe in God's grand design. All I have to do is look at Beth to know that. I know I am truly blessed with her so whether I meet the man of my dreams today or 20 years from now so be it.

And what would Valentine's Day be without a bit of poetry?

How Do I Love Thee? By Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you - I agree with you. I've been single on every Valentine's day, but one and that one wasn't very good. A couple that are in love should celebrate that love more than once a year and not with $50 roses that you can get for $9 any other time of year.

    I'm not too bothered with being single this year, too. I would love a husband, but I am still trying to be content with who I am and love God more than myself. Maybe I am destined for bigger things than sitting home and waiting for a man. I don't need a man to follow my dreams of writing or hopefully traveling the world. It's good to meet another strong woman on this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista, I do believe some dreams must be undertaken alone. I also believe travelling is good for the soul :)

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    Happy Valentines Day!

    We writers . . . and mothers have to stick together. Did you particpate in the ABNA breakthrough novel award this year?

    Your blog is very nice and I shall visit again soon.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobbie,
      Yes I did enter this year. My first year! I do not think I am going to win but the advice and sense of community on the boards is amazing and I am really glad I entered!
      Did you enter?

      Delete