Friday, May 11, 2012

Dundalk 10k Road Race

Two days ago, on the 9th May, I ran my first ever 10k race. I was not running to win, just to prove to myself I could do it. After months of training (sporadic training) I managed to finish the race in 1 hour and 6 minutes. Not bad for a first timer!
This is the before picture. Note the lovely (pink) official race t-shirt!

And here is a picture of me crossing the line:


It was an unsettled evening. Raining off and on while I huffed and puffed my way out to the Ballymac Roundabout and back. The first 4k were tough. When I got to the roundabout there were people cheering on everyone going past. It was really nice and spurred me on a little more. I found a girl to keep pace with for the second half and we more or less stuck together until we reached the homeward stretch. Not far from the finish line I had to stop and walk a little so she finished before me. I was almost done in. When I finally crossed the line I grabbed my medal and took myself round the corner to pass out. Thankfully I didn't but it was close!
My Mum and sister came out to wish me luck and cheer me at the finish line. Can't wait till next year to get another one of these...



Well done to the organisers. The whole evening was brilliant. The atmosphere was electric!


In other news, I spent last weekend in Cavan on a writer's retreat. Bleeker Avenue second draft is nearing completion and should have it sent to my editor by the end of this month! Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Well Done Nessa, a great achievement. Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete