Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Why Did I Self-Publish?

As some of you may know already I decided on Monday to self-publish my book The Secret Beneath Bleeker Avenue. There are many reasons why I decided to do it myself.

Firstly, I'm a very impatient person. Ask anyone who knows me personally and they will agree. If I go into a shop and there is a queue of more than three people I'm most likely to turn on my heel and walk back out. I don't like waiting for anything. Therefore, after only beginning to query agents and publishers on the 21st June, I'm already losing my patience with the lack of replies. Any authors out there will know it will take some people a long time to get back to me but, to be very honest, I can't wait. I know I need to relax a little more and if this was the only reason for self-publishing I probably would have waited it out.

Secondly, there is a lot of information out there on self-publishing. If it is done right a self-published author can make a living. It's not rocket science (well, maybe getting an ITIN is, but more on that another time) and, I believe, with a great deal of research, an author can self-publish and avoid the pitfalls of others.

Thirdly, I am in control. I control everything to do with my book, how it is published, how much royalties I will get, etc. This is a very important aspect for me.

Finally, I just had to get that lovely cover out there!



In other news, I turn 31 next week. I'm having people over for a BBQ this weekend (hopefully the weather is good) and can't wait to celebrate another year. Stay tuned for more on the party and what I've done since I turned the 'dreaded' 3-0!

1 comment:

  1. hey i just wanted to say well done and i really hope it all goes well for you and im sure the book will be a great success and i will let you know what i think of it when i finish it :) x eamon

    ReplyDelete