Tuesday, February 19, 2013

There's great drying out



Finally, the sun has returned to Ireland. For months we had terrible weather but now it looks like Spring has finally sprung. It's wonderful and I'm in a better mood for it. Not that I was in a bad mood but a bit of sunshine always makes me feel good and I can put my washing outside on the line again.

I do love Winter though. The long nights, warm soups and, of course, Christmas. January, I can survive if it is cold and dull but it was starting to drag a bit.

Now is the time for planting seeds, time to have a clear out and time to move house. Yes, I am moving house. I had been thinking of it for a long while. I love my current house but the rent is steep. I never have any spare money. But that's all going to change in three weeks. I can't wait. My current house no longer feels like 'home'.

I moved in here just over three years ago when Beth was only four months old. She crawled, walked and said her first words in this house. I've loads of great memories from all the firsts, christening celebrations, birthday parties and this is where I finally settled down to do what I've always dreamed of doing, writing.

However, I'm not sad to leave. It just feels like a new beginning. Beth spent her baby/toddler years here but now she is a little girl and has different needs. I want to live somewhere that has more of a community to it. Where I am now, there are no front gardens, I barely know my neighbours and as Beth gets older there is no way I'd let her leave the house even if her friend just lived a few doors down. The cars race up and down this narrow road. Our new street has ramps to slow down cars, we have a front garden/driveway, people say 'hello' to each other when they pass you by! It is only a ten minute walk from where I currently live but feels so different.
The park near our new house.

In other news, I passed my driving theory test last week. Also, I didn't make it through the pitch round in the ABNA. No great loss. I'm still working on the new book. I hope to be finished mid-March. It's going well. A much bigger project than Bleeker Avenue.

Has Spring arrived in your part of the world?

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post. :) I didn't know you were in Ireland. Ireland is on my top 10 list of places to visit. :) New beginnings are on the horizon and I wish you the best on your upcoming move. What a difference a 10 minute walk can make, huh? We have towns like that here and I always liked the towns where your neighbors said hello and your kids had plenty of playmates around. :) - Congratulations on passing your driving test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi. By the way, I was in fits reading about your 'friendly' neighbourhood alarm clock. I've neighbours that like to fight in their garden, while drunk, at 5am! It reminded me of them :)

      Delete